Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Yogurt or Nogurt?



While checking out the Shape Magazine website, I saw an article that caught my eye immediately. The article is called, "Should You Stop Eating Yogurt?" I automatically thought, oh no, not something I claim as my go to healthy and now its not! My go to yogurts have to be Chobani, especially in the flavor blood orange (you should definitely consider trying it sometime). 

As I read on, turns out yogurt contains carrageenan, which is a compound extracted from red seaweed that is added to improve the texture and mouth feel of foods. Its widespread use as an additive in foods began in the 1930s, initially in chocolate milk, and now it is found in yogurt, ice cream, soy milk, almond milk, deli meats, and meal replacement shakes.Carrageenan has the potential to damage on your digestive system.

So college guys and gals, what should you do? Right now there really isn’t any data in humans that shows it poses adverse health effects. However, there is animal and cell culture data that does suggest it could cause damage to your gut and exacerbate inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease. For some people, the red flags from the animal data is enough to warrant removal from their diet, while others would prefer to see these same negative findings in human studies before swearing off a particular ingredien (me being one of those individuals).

Not only did this article scare the greek out of me, but scared for no reason. No worries for all you yogies out there (not only someone who loves yogurt) because I will continue to eat this delicious snack weekly!

If you want to read more of the article from Shape Magazine, click here.

I hope all you are getting all your projects in on time and you are not stretching too much! Here is so motivation to get to the gym at least a couple times this week.
fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment